Andrew, planet for one.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

NEW YARK THREE


This comic isn't done and will never be because NEW YORK CITY WOOO!

BLOGS. Check it.

So yesterday was whack, so today I wanted to do things awesome. I started off Ryan Estrada style by getting on the subway closest to my house, getting off arbitrarily, and getting on to another subway arbitrarily and ended up at Columbia University (Okay so I didn't exactly get lost, and I didn't exactly see something that none of the tourists see, but I tried.)

The university was pretty nice, I meandered my way through the campus and found myself at the philosophy department (Easy to spot with Le Penseur right outside. I remembered that my buddy Peter is currently applying to philosophy graduate programs all over the country, so I wrote his name down on a piece of paper and slipped it under the door. Good luck Peter! Hope they accept you!

And then I went to a local cafe and met this man:


Jeffrey Dvorkin, former ombudsman for NPR, currently a professor at the Misouri School of Journalism and president of the Committee of Concerned Journalists. We talked for a moment about journalism and schools. Dang.

Okay, from there

The Cathedral of st. John the Divine where I was welcomed and invited to "walk into [their] magnificent restoration in progress!"

A badass garden full of scuptures done by children and one big fountain portraying all of, but not limited to, the following things: An angel, the devil's body, the sun, the devil's head held in the claws of a giant crab, and the moon.

Ulysses' Tomb, where apparently nobody is actually buried. (Ulysses and his wife are actually above ground.)

And an ultra-touristy harbor tour!

At the ticket counter for the tour a giant group of kids got there right before me. I heard the man leading the group say "I hope you have room on the beast! We have 32 kids!"
The girl at the counter, disenchanted with the magic of the big apple, replied:
"No. The beast is closed today."
"But today's the last day of the season." he said.
"That's right."
"And so today's the last day the beast is running."
"Correct"
"And it's not running."
"Nope."
"On the last day it's running."
"Right."

So my interest was piqued, as I'm sure yours is too. I had a half-hour before the ride and I had to find out exactly what the beast was.

I followed this sign


to find this

A fourty-seat speed boat that does the trip around the harbor in something like 75 seconds.

Satisfied, I decided to take a seat on the curb outside of this building


Which, oddly enough, faces THIS building:


Which happens to be


After exploring what I could (It was closed) I went back to the cruise building and bought dippin' dots from a man who offered me vanilla or diet vanilla. I chose vanilla. Apparently there is no diet vanilla but he says it anyway. According to him about 50% chose diet. He gives them regular vanilla anyway.

And then the tour, statue, bla bla bla.

Tomorrow: Wall street on Monday morning, 9 am! FTW!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home